Marcia Dawkins: Clearly Invisible and Eminem: The Real Slim Shady
Question: Who is the real Slim Shady? Marcia Dawkins has the answer. The author of “Clearly Invisible” which has received critical acclaim and even praise from Valerie Jarrett, Senior Advisor to the President. Ms. Dawkins, who holds a Ph D, is the writer of “Eminem: The Real Slim Shady”, a “fresh way of looking at Eminem that will excite those who already love the artist and inform those who want to understand him.”
For now, let’s discover what Ms. Dawkins has to say about her two books and future plans.
Our readers would like to know, who is Marcia Dawkins?
I am Marcia Alesan Dawkins. An award-winning author, speaker, and disruptive educator from New York City, now also a communication professor at USC Annenberg in Los Angeles, CA. I’m a Google Glass Explorer too and having lots of fun with creating new possibilities for communication and writing with it.
How long have you been writing?
I’ve been writing my whole life. But I’ve been writing seriously and honing my craft for 10 years. Recently, I released two books in two years – “Clearly Invisible” in 2012 and “Eminem: The Real Slim Shady” in 2013.
What was your inspiration for writing both books?
My Grandfather’s books of poetry, especially “A Los Cuatro Vientros.” (Translation: “To The Four Winds”).
What steps did you take to publish Clearly Invisible and Eminem: The Real Slim Shady?
1. Had well formed ideas that were ready to present to selected editors.
2. Got interest from targeted editors.
3. Submitted prepared proposals quickly to prospective publishers.
4. Received and negotiated book contracts.
5. Researched and wrote manuscripts
6. Edited manuscripts with professional editors, copy editors.
7. Prepared marketing plan to promote books and author.
What’s your favorite part of either book?
My favorite part of the new book is the “Prelude” where I explain how my Grandfather’s out-of-the-box thinking made we want to learn more about Eminem. A link to that excerpt is here – http://www.RealSlimShadyBook.com (just scroll down).
I understand you’re involved in other projects. Would you mind sharing them with us?
Sure, I also wrote “Clearly Invisible: Racial Passing and the Color of Cultural Identity” (http://www.ClearlyInvisibleBook.com) and am currently co-editing a book about mixed race identities, technology and creative storytelling called “Mixed Race 3.0.”
Also, I am available for talks and webinars on how diversity, technology and creative storytelling are changing everything. I’ve speak on ground and online at Universities, corporations, not-for-profit organizations, religious organizations and professional conferences.
Do you plan on attending any events soon? If so, please tell us where you will be?
I just got back from a talk on Eminem in Thailand so I’m taking a breather through the holidays. After that I will be speaking at CUNY and UCLA in January and at USC next year. More events are coming up after that so listeners should keep up with my latest events and projects at http://www.MarciaDawkins.com
How can the readers contact you if they would like to receive a personal copy? Do you have a website?
Yes. Readers can reach out to me at www.MarciaDawkins.com
What advice do you have for someone just starting out as an author?
I would offer the 5 following pieces of advice to any new author:
1. Success often involves spectacular errors and failures, so don’t be afraid if things don’t always work out.
2. Opportunity is a set of circumstances that can be manufactured so pay attention to your social environment and networks while making sure you develop your skills to the best potential.
3. Creativity is a renewable resource, so don’t be afraid to unplug sometimes.
4. Emotional investment is the key to achieving your goals, so write about what you love.
5. There is compound interest in altruism so whatever you do with your writing must help to make the world a better place.
Is there anything else you would like to say in closing?
Thank you for inviting me to participate in “Authors N Focus.” It’s been a real pleasure.